Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Memory Card Game


I knew moving in early December was going to mean the sewing room would be unavailable for awhile, so I worked ahead on gifts. Now that Christmas is passed I can share some of the things I made.

DGS1 has played with my Memory cards, but trying to match print fabrics was a little challenging for him at not quite two and a half. So I decided to make him his own set.


I had a lot of fun stash diving and finding fabrics with fruit, dogs, carrots, moons, candy, rainbows, honey bees and other shapes.


Then I laid them out on Wonder-under fusible web, covered it with a pressing sheet and fused the squares to the interfacing.



I rough-cut them apart, then trimmed the extra fusible web from each square.


Removed the paper backing.


Then I cut felt squares and marked each with a positioning dot.


Here they are fused to the felt.



I grouped them with the color thread I wanted to use to applique around each square for stability and accent.


After all these years, I finally got to use the buttonhole applique stitch on my Janome. I love it!

I put them in a 'safe' place so I could find them when we arrived at the new house. As luck would have it, I didn't find them in time to give them to our grandson at Christmas. But I found them a day later!

No comments: